[U-Boot] Adding support to Technexion TAM3517 SOM

Stefano Babic sbabic at denx.de
Fri Nov 25 08:35:47 CET 2011

On 25/11/2011 04:25, Tapani Utriainen wrote:
> Recompiled our kernel as well (was using someone elses pre-compiled earlier) and
> tried again. No difference.
>
> What steps did you take to verify that USB is working?
> For instance: I cannot mount/read a USB stick in linux when using your u-boot.
> No problems using ours.

Yes, same steps - let's see:

the USB is correctly recognized as checked in the dmesg:

usb 2-1.1: new high speed USB device using ehci-omap and address 4
usb 2-1.1: New USB device found, idVendor=05e3, idProduct=0718
usb 2-1.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=1, SerialNumber=2
usb 2-1.1: Product: USB Storage
usb 2-1.1: SerialNumber: 000000000033
scsi1 : usb-storage 2-1.1:1.0
scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access     USB2.0   FlashDisk        0.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 8055880 512-byte logical blocks: (4.12 GB/3.84 GiB)
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 00 00 00 00
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
 sda: sda1 sda2 sda3
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk

There is a USB stick now connected to the EHCI-OMAP

mount reports no problem:

-bash-3.2# mount
/dev/nfs on / type nfs (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /mnt type vfat (rw)

And I can access the file(s) on /dev/sda1:

-bash-3.2# ls -la /mnt/
total 204
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  16384 Jan  1  1970 .
drwxr-xr-x 17 root root   4096 Nov 24 16:14 ..
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 187344 Nov  9 10:47 u-boot.bin

> You might very well be right that this difference is due to errors in our u-boot
> *and* our kernel.

No, I have not said this. I meant that 2.6.32 kernel you have relies a
untouched USB controller, and that could not be the case now.
However, if you do not use the USB under U-Boot (you do not tip the "usb
start" command), only the MUX is set in U-Boot without touching the
controller. To understand which is the issue it is required some debugging.

> I have not verified the MUX setup etc, just (maybe foolishly)
> trusted that the settings we have had working for long time (since before me starting
> here) are somewhat correct. Would be tragic if two so crazy errors makes it work. :-(

As I said, the conditions are now slightly different and this can make
the system working or not. You see I have the same kernel, but surely
different conditions (rootfs on NFS server, different kernel parameters,
....) and it is working for me.

Take also into account that your customers could be very interested to
use the last kernel version or to have their board mainlined - and then
your board should / could run with several (and actual) kernel versions.
As far as I can see, there are a lot of patches from 2.6.32 to actual
kernel for the ehci-omap.c file, including fixing to make it working
after a suspend, and much more.

Best regards,
Stefano Babic

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de