[U-Boot] MPC8536 problems II

David Lynch Jr. dhlii at dlasys.net
Fri Nov 25 21:17:15 CET 2011

Trying again, with an effort to be more concise.

What are the minimums that need to be setup correctly to access DDR for
an MPC8536 in u-boot ? This is probably my most important question.
I do not want to fixate on DDR controler timing issues, when the Local
Access Windows, TLB's or L2 Cache are also likely culprits.

Do the TLB's have to be correct ? Are the default u-boot TLB's likely to
work for DDR starting at 0 ?

I believe the MPC8536 u-boot configuration uses the L2 as memory during
early startup. Does anything cache related have to be changed when DDR
is enabled ?

I am not seeing where the Local Access Windows are set for DDR, they are
set for NAND, NOR, ... most everything else. Do they need to be set for
DDR ?

I grasp that getting reliable operation requires perfect programming of
the DDR controller, but right now unreliable would be a step forward.
What are the most likely DDR register culprits for complete inability to
read.

I can write DDR - meaning the operation completes. I have no idea
whether any data is actually written, but any attempt to read leaves the
processor waiting forever at the instruction reading memory.

I am trying per Wolfgang's recommendations to switch to the u-boot git
tree rather than 2009.03. But that does not appear to build.