[U-Boot] [GIT PULL] Pull request: u-boot-staging

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Nov 28 19:52:40 CET 2011

Dear Igor Grinberg,

In message <4ECE39A9.4080201 at compulab.co.il> you wrote:

> >> As for my understanding, the delivery path ends with the repository
> >> from which the pull process starts.
> >
> > That makes no sense either.  What about the case where the author
> > provides (say, for convenience) a git repository where we can pull
> > from, instead of applying the posting from the ML or PW?
>
> Well, I don't see how this is different from the custodian case,
> except that contributor is not a custodian.

So would the custodian have to sign then, or not?  If yes, how would
he do in a convenient way (git pull does not provide a "-s" option or
similar to auto-sign all pulled commits [which would not make sense to
me anyway])?  If no, then what is the difference between the git pull
and - say - a git am ?

> > Hm... what's the difference then between pulling from a tree or
> > cherry picking from it?  What about rebasing a tree?
>
> Cherry picking changes the commit id even if there are no conflicts
> and can be done only on one commit at a time.

I cannot see what is special with a commit id in the context of
signing a patch, or not.  My understanding is that the SCM is just an
unrelated tool here, andw e could use SVN or even (ick!) CVS instead,
and still the concept of Signed-off-by:s should and would work.

> Let me make it clear, I'm not arguing that one way is better
> then another. I just thought that we are following the Linux
> model, as there is no document describing, how this thing
> should be done.

Is there a document that describes exactly how this is be done for
Linux?  So far, all our conclusions appear to be derived from
observations.

> Again, no rule - is kind of rule, but it would be nice to have
> a document describing this decision, so less questions will arise.

Agreed. Does Linux have such a thing? [I could not find anything that
goes into more detail than the SP file, which IMO is not really clear
about that.]

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Always try to do things in chronological order; it's  less  confusing
that way.