[U-Boot] Attn Maintainers: git advise needed (how to fix messed up repo)

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Tue Nov 29 04:31:21 CET 2011

On Monday 28 November 2011 19:02:20 Graeme Russ wrote:
> > cd Source/U-Boot/x86 (my local version of the u-boot-x86 repo)
> > git fetch u-boot (as per the 'new' methodology of not having a seperate
> > u-boot branch)
> > git checkout master
> > git rebase u-boot/master
> > git push ssh://gu-x86@git.denx.de/u-boot-x86
> > git checkout next
> > git rebase master
> > git push ssh://gu-x86@git.denx.de/u-boot-x86

ok, i've read the official recommended workflow [1].  it seems to contradict
itself.  for example, it starts with:
	Philosophy of custodian trees
	... it is the custodian's responsibility to provide a permanently
	accessible, consistent view of his repository to users.

i read that as saying "no rewriting of published history".  but later on it
says to do just that:
	Tips for maintaining custodian trees
	- Keep in sync with the upstream repository by pulling it.
	- Rebase the master, testing and any "work in progress" branches to the
	${upstream}/master remote branch.
	- Push the appropriate branch(es) to the denx.de repo:
		- Pushing the testing and/or rebased master branches often requires
		the -f force flag. This is because the state/content/order of the
		patches in the branch changed due to the rebase operations.

so i guess your example workflow is fine, you just need to use the --force flag.
and you should specify the branches to push rather than leaving that to be
implicit.  so change:
	git push ssh://gu-x86@git.denx.de/u-boot-x86
to:
	git push --force ssh://gu-x86@git.denx.de/u-boot-x86 next
	git push --force ssh://gu-x86@git.denx.de/u-boot-x86 master

> Do the above periodically so anyone working off u-boot-x86 can keep
> up-to-date

the expected behavior of downstream users is apparently to always fetch+rebase
rather than fetch+merge (what "pull" normally does).  this is pretty unusual
(and in most git circles, unforgivable as the "default" workflow).  but as i'm
not a consumer of any of these trees except Wolfgang's, i'm not going to argue
over it.  so your x86 users have to do (assuming they've cloned your tree):
	git fetch
	git rebase origin/master

instead of the more normal:
	git pull