[U-Boot] Attn Maintainers: git advise needed (how to fix messed up repo)

Graeme Russ graeme.russ at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 11:51:52 CET 2011

On 29/11/11 16:36, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 November 2011 00:04:12 Graeme Russ wrote:
>> I think I need to do some reading up on 'rebase' versus 'merge' in git

[snip]

>>> then you'll have to do:
>>>        $ git checkout master
>>>        $ git rebase u-boot/master
>>>        $ git push --force <remote uri> master
>>
>> Hmm, I don't think this will, in and of itself, help - The duplicate
>> commits are all local to u-boot-x86/master (they are all x86 patches, not
>> u-boot patches) but I'll give it a go first...
>
> rebase should automatically discard changesets that are empty/already applied.
> if it doesn't, use the interactive flag:
> 	$ git rebase -i u-boot/master
> then delete any duplicate lines in the text file that pops up

Well, I had already done a git reset --hard back to a point where there
were no x86 patches applied since last pull anyway, so the rebase threw
them all out

I went back into patchwork and downloaded all the patches and git am'd them
all. I was tempted to fix up a few that broke the build and had to be fixed
with a little fixup patch but I decided that I had tempted fate enough
already :)

So it's all fixed - Thanks for your help

However, I still get:

error: refs/tags/2009.01-rc2 does not point to a valid object!

Regards,

Graeme