[U-Boot] u-boot not working on Atmel ATNGW100 (AVR32)

Sven Schnelle svens at stackframe.org
Tue Oct 11 18:15:49 CEST 2011

On 10/11/2011 03:52 PM, Andreas Bießmann wrote:
> Dear Sven,
>
> Am Di 11 Okt 2011 15:37:29 CEST schrieb Sven Schnelle:
>> On 10/11/2011 03:28 PM, Andreas Bießmann wrote:
>>> Dear Sven,

>>> <snip>

>>> One thing, we had much truble with our toolchain. Which toolchain do you
>>> use? Could you provide me (off list) a u-boot.bin for atstk1002 or
>>> grasshopper?
>>
>> I'm using the atmel avr32 toolchain 3.2.3, which contains avr32-gcc
>> 4.4.3 and binutils 2.20.1.
>> I can't try the older atmel toolchain due to missing dependencies for
>> my OS (Debian).
>
> We use a self-build toolchain from some older buildroot which has
>
>  * avr32-linux-gcc (GCC) 4.2.2-atmel.1.1.3.buildroot.1-20100804
>  * GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.18.atmel.1.0.1.buildroot.1
>
> gcc got another patch to have the build date in version string.
>
>> i've just recognized that ld complains during built:
>>
>> avr32-ld:built in linker script:15: warning: memory region `FLASH' not
>> declared
>> avr32-ld:built in linker script:69: warning: memory region `CPUSRAM'
>> not declared
>
> So you do not have a *-linux-* toolchain?
>
>> not sure if this is related to the problem i'm seeing.
>
> Maybe ... I guess since I could build working binaries with my toolchain
> something toolchain related is going wrong.
>
> Maybe have a look for
> http://distribute.atmel.no/tools/opensource/avr32-gcc/ (the script
> should build a uclibc toolchain) to get another toolchain.
> I had a short look for these patches some days ago cause we are hunting
> another maybe toolchain related problem. AFAIK there are some different
> linker settings. The avr32-linux toolchain does set the processor to
> ap7000 (is it -m?) but the avr32-elf (which uses newlib) does not set
> ap7000 as default. Maybe this could be the solution for your problem.

I downloaded the avr32-buildroot, and had it built a
gcc-4.2.4/binutils-2.18 toolchain, and the u-boot built with that
version works. so this looks indeed like a toolchain issue.

It's quite interesting that the original atmel toolchain fails, as i've
chosen this one to be one the safe side, but obviously this wasn't a
good idea.

Thanks for your help.

Sven