[U-Boot] MAKEALL

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Tue Oct 18 22:14:45 CEST 2011

On Tuesday 18 October 2011 16:07:38 Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > because MAKEALL is a pita to use.  it has no automatic CROSS_COMPILE
> > support, and the current logic only allows
> > one-CROSS_COMPILE-setting-per-run.  so you have to run MAKEALL by hand
> > once per arch.
> >
> > the documentation you quote only shows running MAKEALL for powerpc (since
> > that's the default), so even the docs are a bit unclear.
> >
> > ideally, MAKEALL should be intelligent and automatically find an
> > appropriate toolchain if one isn't setup in the env.  much like the
> > buildall script i posted recently.
>
> How is this supposed to work?  Assume I have a number of different
> tool chains, say I want to use the tool chain in /opt/eldk-5.1/armv5te
> for all ARM9 systems, that in /opt/eldk-5.1/armv7a for all OMAP based
> boards, that in /opt/eldk-5.1/armv6 for Kirkwood processors and yet
> another one for the (bix endian) PXA boards.  In all cases we have
> ARCH=arm and CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi-
>
> And then, for compatibility testings, I want to compile all this with
> ELDK 4.2.  Or ELDK 4.1. Or CodeSourcery xxx. Or...
>
> I see no clean way to implement this - ok, we could provide an
> external tool / data base that maps boards or SoC names to
> CROSS_COMPILE/ARCH/PATH settings, which each user has to configure for
> his own set of tool chain settings.

my proposal is only for the default behavior, and it only searches $PATH.  if
the auto-lookup isn't what the user wants, they still can set CROSS_COMPILE=
themselves.  so all existing usage is unchanged.

to add a further bit of flexibility, i might also propose that MAKEALL check
the variable CROSS_COMPILE_<arch> and automatically set CROSS_COMPILE to that
before running `make`.  this way people can do CROSS_COMPILE_arm=...
CROSS_COMPILE_powerpc=... ./MAKEALL arm powerpc.
-mike