[U-Boot] MAKEALL

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Oct 18 23:50:52 CEST 2011

Dear Mike Frysinger,

In message <201110181655.29507.vapier at gentoo.org> you wrote:

> > That would still be to coarse for above issue.  Also, you might want
> > to use different ARM tool chains for ARMv5te systemd than for ARMv6
> > and yet other ones for ARMv7a, etc.
>
> the idea is easy to extend to CROSS_COMPILE_<soc|cpu> and perhaps even
> CROSS_COMPILE_<vendor|board>

The problem is that this does not differentiate the tool chains.

CROSS_COMPILE would be arm-linux-gnueabi- in all these cases - it's
PATH that needs to be different in my case.  Eventually we should not
try to catch all situations directly, but allow for a
soc|cpu|vendor|board|whatever specific file name to be sourced by the
script, which then would be responsible to set up the environment as
needed?

> if you're not against the concept, i can post a patch and we can go from
> there.  but i can say that the limited MAKEALL behavior is the single reason
> for my limited build testing in the past.  i wrote the buildall script after
> trying to do tree-wide changes in the last few months because running
> ./MAKEALL simply does not scale.

I'm all for improving the current situation.  Thanks!

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
It became apparent that one reason why the Ice Giants were  known  as
the  Ice  Giants  was  because they were, well, giants. The other was
that they were made of ice.              -Terry Pratchett, _Sourcery_