[U-Boot] Problem w/ SATA/IDE on Kirkwood _88F6281_ board:

Prafulla Wadaskar prafulla at marvell.com
Tue Apr 3 08:49:15 CEST 2012

________________________________
From: David Purdy [mailto:david.c.purdy at gmail.com]
Sent: 03 April 2012 10:40
To: Prafulla Wadaskar; u-boot at lists.denx.de; albert.u.boot at aribaud.net
Subject: Problem w/ SATA/IDE on Kirkwood _88F6281_ board:

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 12:11 AM, Prafulla Wadaskar <prafulla at marvell.com<mailto:prafulla at marvell.com>> wrote:

> I remember there was some delay issue on SATA, since processor in this platform is running at lower clock, (may be) this could be one of parameter to be considered.
> May be Albert can have some more inside on this.
>
> Regards..
> Prafulla . . .

Hi Prafulla and hopefully Albert,

1 possibility ruled out, 1 tiny piece improved, 1 major problem still there, & few questions...

0.  Latest code in git shows the same behavior...  that isn't the issue...

1.  Adjusting some of the timings in drivers/block/mvsata_ide.c has allowed me to apparently solve a _small_ fraction of the problem.  I can now get it to consistently/reliably honor the 'ide reset' command.  (before this timing adjustment, I would frequently see:
Pogov4> ide reset

Reset IDE: ide_preinit failed
``````````````````````````````````
... so this is one minor part of it that no longer seems a problem.

2. The two 'no IRQ' errors that I see here still persist:
Reset IDE: Bus 0: OK Bus 1: OK
  Device 0: Model: TOSHIBA MK1655GSX  Firm: FG010D Ser#:  X9AHTNGQT
            Type: Hard Disk
            Supports 48-bit addressing
            Capacity: 152627.8 MB = 149.0 GB (312581808 x 512)
Error (no IRQ) dev 0 blk 16: status 0x7f
No Powersaving mode 7F
Error (no IRQ) dev 0 blk 0: status 0x7f
  Device 1: not available
``````````````````````````````````
These apparently come from common/cmd_ide.c .  The offsets shown in the DEBUG output look to me to be the correct ones, referencing the Marvell docs.

I can't find a meaning for 'status 0x7f', though.

Again, any ideas or hints of what to examine would be appreciated.

3.  Prafulla, could a problem w/ my  kwbimage.cfg file cause timing problems?   Could the incorrect SoC identification (showing as a 6281 instead of a 6192) cause a problem due to some registers being misread somehow?
[Prafulla] : I don't think so, only TCLK is being configured to 166Mhz instead of 200, kwbimage.cfg does system configuration before boot, so whatever you do in this file are equally important.
But specific to this problem, I am bit away from peripheral sata :(
Regards..
Prafulla . . .

Regards and thanks,

Dave