[U-Boot] ld fails with .bss / .rel.dyn overlap for 2011.12

Joey Oravec joravec at drewtech.com
Mon Apr 9 23:49:22 CEST 2012

On 4/9/2012 5:12 PM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Joey Oravec,
>
> In message<4F834E09.3010600 at drewtech.com>  you wrote:
>> This email is to report a problem building u-boot 2011.12 with a gcc
>> 4.3.2 toolchain. I've added support locally for a marvell 78xx0 based
>> board. It's using arm926ejs and I have not modified the *.lds linker script.
>>
>> Case 1: With gcc 4.3.2 provided by marvell, the build fails with this error:
>> I can provide u-boot.map files (~70k) for each case.
> Thanks, but what should we do about that?  You are referring to code
> that is unknown to us, and to a tool chain we have no access to.
>
> It would probably be best to report this to the Marvell compiler team.

Possibly nothing -- I'm reporting it because there have been other
mailing list thread with the same error message, sometimes without a
clear resolution:

http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2012-February/117009.html
http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2010-November/082122.html

I don't know enough about the linker or *.map file to understand the
root cause of the error message. I can only report my observations and
suggest that if somebody else hits the same problem they should try
using a newer toolchain. In my case it fixed the problem.

I don't need anybody to take any action on this, so feel free to
disregard if this report is not interesting. I have no support through
Marvell but I thought it was appropriate to share my results with this
mailing list.

-joey