[U-Boot] FW: P4080 target has 16G memory stability issues ...

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Apr 14 00:26:27 CEST 2012

Dear Robert,

please note: it is NOT a good idea to post the same message to
several mailing lists separately.  Normally such cross-posts should be
avoided completely;  if they appear to make sense, you should really
cross-post, so threading works, and people are aware that this is a
message they have already seen on another list.  Thanks.

In message <2DD52030B5146141BEB762A11AE97C4C014C6791 at SPQCEXC05.exfo.com> you wrote:

> Our P4080 target board is using 2 SODIMM's on each of 2 Controllers
> (4x4G DDR3), and we are seeing some memory problems (linux panics)
> when beating up large amounts of memory (just under the 16G), on
> multiple threads (7 or 8 CPUs).

This is actually a somewhat frequent problem.  It takes some
experience to get DDR3 designs right.  We have done some hardware
design reviews which showed quite a number of issues in this area,
typically resulting in issues similar to yours.

> Our DDR3 configuration is derived from the SPD dump of U-Boot, and
> we are using a version based upon the 2011.09 release of U-Boot. Our
> firmware memory test, limited as it is to 2G chunks, and a single CPU
> shows no problem, it is only using a small test program under Linux
> and using multiple cpu's that we see the problems, and we can
> reproduce the problem at will, although reducing our memory speed via
> the RCW does seem to ameliorate the problem somewhat.

Most memory test routines don't help you here - they execrise the
memory with plain read / write cycles, which results in pretty much
relaxed timings.  Even if these tests work perfectly, your memory mayu
fail seriously when you manage to load it with back-to-back burst mode
accesses.  The easiest way to do this is running Linux with root file
system over NFS, and then running some bigger application (like
compiling a Linux kernel on the target).  This results in many context
switches (cache flush / cache fetch) and lots of DMA (network
drivers).  If everything else works, and this tests crashes your
system, you can be pretty sure that burst mode accesses have some
problem.

> - is anyone using a similar configuration?

I don;t think the configuration is a problem here.  My bet is either
incomplete / incorrect initialization of the memory controller, and/or
problems with the hardware design.

> - is anyone aware of limitations in the U-Boot 2011.09R version of
> the mpc8xxx/ddr/* code we need to be aware of?

I have no idea what "2011.09R" might be, sorry.

> - any ideas?
>
> We've been pounding our heads on this for a while now, and I'm just
> wondering if we are covering old territory here.

This _is_ a well known problem.  Memory errors like this have always
been a major issue wehn runnign an OS like Linux which really loads
the hardware to the limits.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
8 Catfish                                               = 1 Octo-puss