[U-Boot] Problem setting target's ip address in kernel parameters passed by bootm

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Apr 30 15:45:40 CEST 2012

Dear David Aldrich,

In message <41302A7145AC054FA7A96CFD03835A0A10DFBB at EX10MBX02.EU.NEC.COM> you wrote:

> I am a newbie to u-boot and embedded linux.  I am trying to build a development environment around a Freescale P4080DS board.  Presently, I want the target to boot from a kernel image in flash and to mount an NFS root filesystem.  This is not working.

Please restrict your line length to some 70 charatcers or so.

Also carefully check where you are posting to.

This is the U-Boot mailing list, and your problems appears not to be
related to U-Boot.  You should post Linux related issues on a Linux
mailing list.

> bootargs=console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/nfs rw ip=172.29.68.13 nfsroot=172.29.68.252:<my file system path>

Please read the Linux kernel documentation for correct setup of boot
arguments for Linux.

> Firstly, I have not installed an NFS server on the host. Well, I should be able to do that.

Off topic here.

> Secondly, after boot, the host cannot ping the target, and vice versa.  On the target I see:

Off topic here.

> Why is the ip address shown as 192.168.1.100 but I set it as 172.29.68.13 in bootargs?

I guess your kernel determined the IP address using DHCP.  You did not
tell him not to do - for that, the "ip=" parameter needs more
components, especially a trailing ":off" part.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Perl already has an IDE.  It's called Unix.
                      -- Tom Christiansen in 375bd509 at cs.colorado.edu