[U-Boot] Merging the pogo_e02 and sheevaplug code

Karl O. Pinc kop at meme.com
Fri Aug 3 17:40:04 CEST 2012

On 08/03/2012 01:48:02 AM, Prafulla Wadaskar wrote:

> [...]

I think there's benefit in using CONFIG_SYS_KWD_CONFIG
to have different configs for the "almost same" board.
See below.

> Secondly your board is custom board and not sheevaplug, so modifying
> sheevaplug code for the same does not sound good.

Yes. This is why I asked.  It's _almost_ a sheevaplug, but isn't.

> Still if it is one
> or two lines #ifdef change we can manage that instead of adding
> complete new board specific folder.

(There is already a board specific folder, board/cloudengines/
pogo_e02/.
The patch would remove it.)

There's 2 #ifdefs, each controlling 1 line.
One sets the kwbimage.cfg file, the other frobs
CONFIG_IDENT_STRING.

(Although there could be a third #ifdef-- the
current pogo_e02 code omits some kwmpp_config[] elements.
I need to look at this.)

> To me it looks that you can u-boot with sheevaplug u-boot image,
> where
> as it may report wrong DRAM size, that can be fixed.

The only way I know to fix it is to use mem= on the
kernel command line.  The problem with this is that
the pogo_e02 is a consumer device.  It's not a matter
of the command line being set once at time of manufacture.
Anyone who's going to be installing u-boot on the
pogo_e02 is going to be doing it one device at a time,
probably one per person.  Rather than have all these
people have to go through the extra step of setting
up a kernel parameter it makes sense to me to do it
once when the u-boot image is built.  This is
why I want a separate kwbimage.cfg file for the
pogo_e02.

Aside from kwmpp_config[] issues, the only difference
between the pogo_e02 and the sheevaplug is the
kwbimage.cfg file.  If you don't think that it's
worth having a separate kwbimage.cfg file for the
pogo_e02 then it's probably not worth having
a separate pogo_e02 board in u-boot at all.

(If you happen to know, offhand, what docs
I should be looking at to investigate the kwmpp_config[]
array please let me know.)

Regards,

Karl <kop at meme.com>
                 -- Robert A. Heinlein