[U-Boot] U-boot environment variables keep disappearing

andyjjones andrewj.jones at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 7 11:04:02 CET 2012

Hi folks,

I'm a newbie.

I'm trying to write a basic script in u-boot which erases and writes
x-loader to NAND between 0x0 and 0x80000.

When I save some basic environment variables to u-boot such as:
set foo bar
saveenv

foo is always there when i come back.   However, when I write a slightly
longer program and save it using saveenv (and check it's there using
"print"), it is gone by the time I reboot.

The slightly longer program is this:
formatXLoader=if test "$firstFormat" -eq "0"; then echo Formatting NAND for
X-Loader...; mmc init; fatload mmc 0:1 80000000 MLO; nandecc hw 2; nand
erase 0 80000; echo Formatting complete.  Writing X-Loader to NAND; nand
write 80000000 0 80000; echo X-Loader written successfully; set firstFormat
1; else echo X-loader already written to NAND; fi

Why is my formatXLoader program disappearing?  I am pulling out my hair.

Thankyou! :)