[U-Boot] Formatting bootable SD, freescale platform

McClintock Matthew-B29882 B29882 at freescale.com
Fri Feb 10 17:58:20 CET 2012

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 5:06 PM, Joe Kulikauskas
<joe.kulikauskas at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anybody happen to know a reference with _details_ of how to format and
> mkfs an SD card to be bootable for freescale platform?
>
> Background:  I'm using a freescale utility (
> https://github.com/kergoth/boot-format), but it fails at runtime, unhappy
> with my SD MBR.  Console output is shown below.
>
> I've run fdisk/mkfs with various tweaks, getting FAT16+ext2 partitions per
> the references I've found (
> http://www.freescalewiki.com/index.php?title=Getting_started_Guide_for_P1010/P1014,
> http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/app_note/AN3659.pdf).  But
> boot_format still bails out.

I suspect you are using a recent version but the git repo lives here:

http://git.freescale.com/git/cgit.cgi/ppc/sdk/boot-format.git/

boot_format expects the SD card will be formatted to it's expectation
before writing to the SD card. You need to use fdisk and create a
normal PC style partition and then format the one partition (not sure
if it expects ext2/3 or fat32 for this). Play around with it and let
me know.

The other option is to just ouput a spi image from boot_format and use
dd to write that image to an sdcard and it should work just the same.

Let me know if you need more details.

-M