[U-Boot] ARM926: U-Boot crash while relocating

Amit Virdi amitvi128 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 08:28:12 CET 2012

Ciao Albert,

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Albert ARIBAUD
<albert.u.boot at aribaud.net>wrote:

> Hi Amit,
>
> Le 15/02/2012 12:30, Amit Virdi a écrit :
>
>  Hello All,
>>
>> While I'm running u-boot on spear320 board, I'm seeing a crash. The crash
>> happens during the .rel.dyn relocations. While debugging, I found that the
>> .rel.dyn section contains a word with all the bits set (0xFFFFFFFF) and
>> the
>> code is trying to fix-up this location.
>>
>> The u-boot address range is 0x00700000 - 0x0072E678. The .rel.dyn section
>> starts at 0x0072E678 and extends upto 0x00733CC0.
>>
>> I checked the entire .rel.dyn section generated for the u-boot and found
>> only one such location. It was supposed to have the address lying in the
>> u-boot address range.
>>
>> I shall be thankful for any help.
>>
>> Regards
>> Amit Virdi
>>

> Do you build a mainline u-boot, and if so, which commit do you build
> exactly?

Yes, I built the mainline u-boot - v2011.12. I debugged the problem further
and found that it is not "0xFFFFFFFF" written in the original generated
.rel.dyn area. The u-boot code was accessing the .bss segment before the
relocation was complete. As a result, u-boot was writing 0xFFFFFFFF in the
.rel.dyn/.bss area.

I have sent a patch<http://www.mail-archive.com/u-boot@lists.denx.de/msg77621.html>on
the mailing list, the other day, to fix the problem .

Thanks for your support.

Regards
Amit Virdi

Amicalement,