[U-Boot] Help with Cross-Compiling U-boot for PPC

Will Khan willk at optiscan.com
Wed Jan 4 22:35:50 CET 2012

Hi all,

My goal is to (simply) build u-boot to run on my target processor which is MPC8349.  My host environment where I will be building the u-boot is a SUSE linux system running on an intel x86 PC (therefore I will cross compile).  I have followed the instructions on the wiki and README file, and created a u-boot.bin file.  I after I load the u-boot.bin (with a BDI2000 debugger) and reset the device,  it produces random (garbage) text through the serial port.  It normally should produce a welcome message, etc..

Here are my steps:

I have downloaded the latest u-boot version and unpacked it: v2011.12-rc2

Make distclean
Make MPC8349EMDS_config
CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-linux-
Export CROSSCOMPILE
Make all

(note that I derived the above commands from the README file in the u-boot directory (see sections at Line 274, line 3350)

I believe my configuration of the BDI2000 debugger is correct as I've successfully loaded my older version of u-boot.bin (created by someone before me) many times with it and it worked.

If there is an obvious step I am missing, or incorrect syntax, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Will Khan