[U-Boot] mx28evk_config integration

Robert Deliën robert at delien.nl
Fri Jan 13 16:39:18 CET 2012

>> I've Kernel 3.2.1 and it works. So I've made a clean-built of my 3.1.6 and works
>> too. No idea why it failed before, but I'm going to disregard that for now. I think
>> it's safe to conclude that the problem is an incompatibility between the
>> FreeScale supplied 2.6.35.3-571 Kernel and the current version of U-Boot.
>
> This is possible, but both are not mainlined..

Well, the current version of U-Boot is, obviously ;-). But indeed, the FreeScale
supplied 2.6.35.3-571 Kernel is not. And there's no doubt that this is a bug in
the FreeScale Kernel that wasn't triggered before because their U-Boot
configured the clocks differently.

>> Unfortunately we cannot step up to another Kernel because we need the
>> FreeScale power supply driver for our battery and that's not yet supported in
>> later Kernel versions.
>
> However, the logical approach is to port the power supply driver to the
> current kernel, and also to push it to mainline !

I fully agree. But that driver … it's scaring me! It's make out of - I kid you not -
12 files, containing well over 6000 lines of code. They had to give it it's own
directory in .../drivers/power, something no other power driver ever needed.

Robert.