[U-Boot] device tree compilation problems.

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Mon Jan 23 08:09:22 CET 2012

Hi,

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 6:16 PM, hanumant <hanumant07 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
>   I am getting DTC when compiling dts file with CONFIG_OF_CONTROL.
> The message says that it cannot find skeleton.dtsi though its placed
> in the same directory as the dts file. I notice that if i remove this
> line from the dts Makefile, the error disappears
>

>  $(DT_BIN): $(TOPDIR)/board/$(VENDOR)/dts/$(DEVICE_TREE).dts
> -       cat $< | $(CPP) -P $(DTS_CPPFLAGS) - >$@.tmp
> -       $(DTC) -R 4 -p 0x1000 -O dtb -o ${DT_BIN} $@.tmp
> -       rm $@.tmp
> +       $(DTC) -R 4 -p 0x1000 -O dtb -o ${DT_BIN} $<
>
> Has anyone faced this issue?

Not really, although I haven't used a skeleton file on mainline. One
thing to check is that you have a .dtsi extension.

The lines above are running the .dts file through the C proprocessor
to create a tmp file, which is then compiled. It is only really used
to get the name of the SOC's device tree include file - see the
definition of DTS_CPPFLAGS.

The tmp file should be in the same directory - check the file it
produces and see what is wrong with it. The reason for using a tmp
file is that people can check the resulting post-processed input to
dtc. I wonder if the # signs in the file are confusing the
preprocessor (at the time I wondered why they didn't). We should
perhaps add sed into the mix :-(

> Thanks
> Hanumant

Regards,