[U-Boot] Question regarding NAND environment

Peter Barada peter.barada at logicpd.com
Thu Jan 26 18:05:56 CET 2012

I'm trying to have a robust environment stored in NAND, and three blocks
of space available to store it in.

Looking at the REDUND code, I see it only keeps two copies of the
environment regardless of the amount of space available.  Instead I'm
looking to use CONFIG_ENV_RANGE to handle the extra blocks.

Can/does the code save multiple copies of the environment across the
three blocks, and can readenv read copies of the environment (skipping
bad blocks) until it finds one good environment?  I'm trying to prevent
any corruption from happening if (unlikely but possible) power fails
while saving the environment.  In my case the environment is 32K and
each block is 128K, so I should be able to write six copies into NAND
(if all three blocks are good), and if one block then goes bad I can
still erase one of the other blocks (while the other remaining good
block holds at least one valid copy of the environment).

If u-boot doesn't do this currently is there any interest in a patch for
such?

--
Peter Barada
peter.barada at logicpd.com