[U-Boot] SPL Linux Boot

Stefano Babic sbabic at denx.de
Tue Jan 31 12:25:08 CET 2012

On 30/01/2012 19:05, Tom Rini wrote:

Hi Tom,

>> OK, doing a MAKEALL for omap3/4/5/am33xx/davinci shows we've got a few
>> missing include problems, I'll go fix that up.
>
> OK, was it when you took over the series that you moved stuff to
> common/spl.c ?  That idea is breaking, badly, non-omap platforms.

I am trying to summarize the different problems we have.
Comparing to u-boot-ti, the patchset breaks the following boards:

davinci:
	da850_am18xxevm da850evm hawkboard_nand

omap4/5:
	fixed including spl.h into arch/arm/cpu/armv7/omap-common/boot-common.c

mx28:
	m28evk mx28evk

I have not seen other broken boards - let me know if you find something
else.

On omap4/5 is only a thing of include files, as you reported.

A main issue is with davinci, because we have currently two different
spl.c (arch/arm/cpu/arm926ejs/davinci/spl.c on davinci). The code can be
factorized, if davinci will use preloader_console_init() as omap.

The same problem rises with mx28: there is a specific file
arch/arm/cpu/arm926ejs/mx28/spl_boot.c, that redefines board_init_f()
and board_init_r() - as we try to have a common spl code, this muist be
fixed, too.

A way can be to add an arch weak function to add arch specific
initialization inside  board_init_*() functions, if any. Have you seen
other issues other what I report now ?

Stefano

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de