[U-Boot] Notes from the U-Boot BOF Meeting in Geneva 2012/07/12

Marek Vasut marex at denx.de
Tue Jul 24 01:06:19 CEST 2012

Dear Eric Nelson,

> > Yea ... I think our community is kinda broken :-(
>
> Hey. We heard that...
>
> Careful what you say on an open mic!

Oh man ... I guess it sounded bad indeed, I should have though about the wording
more, sorry.

I mean, we messed up the management (and I wonder who'll start bashing me for
this one), resulting in the community being misguided sometimes. Making it hard
to learn how to contribute too (too many rules etc). Custodians being
overloaded, warding people off because the review takes too long ... stuff like
that is what I meant.

So we have too much to improve, yet too less time to do that.

Ad community, there's a lot of people obviously, who contribute regularly (of
course, such as yourself for example). But I wonder if there's enough of us to
maintain such a big codebase we have. Besides, people care about linux a lot
more than about uboot, pushing many more of the maintaining tasks on custodians.
Or maybe it's the structure that doesn't work well enough to handle the flow.
Honestly, I'm getting lost in it myself.

Best regards,
Marek Vasut