[U-Boot] problems when large nand flash used

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Mon Jun 25 20:32:11 CEST 2012

On 06/24/2012 03:38 PM, Сергей К. wrote:
>  Hello all!
> I have some problem when using NAND flash manufactured by Toshiba.
> The device ID is 0xD7 , value 4Gbyte, page size 0x1000,
> erase blocksize 0x80000.
> The board is at91sam9260 based custom board.
> At first I was a normal performance of the board with a chip
> samsung k9k8g08 and u-boot version 1.3.4.
>  But now i can not to get normal functionality of the board
>  using toshiba chip and u-boot version 2012.04-rc3

You changed both things at once?  What happens if you use the samsung
k9k8g08 with the new U-Boot?

> Then I change NAND chip and u-boot sends to debug port ecc error when
> access to NAND is flow.

Changed the NAND chip back to the one that used to work, or to something
else?

ECC errors could mean that the NAND OOB layout has changed since that
old U-Boot.  Do you still get errors if you erase and reprogram the NAND
from the new U-Boot?

> For a while I could not think how to solve this problem and
>  changed U-boot settings to no avail.
> Then I manually set page size and blocksize in file
> drivers/mtd/nand/nand_ids.c for 0xD7 device and the error disappeared.
>
> I have no idea - what did i  wrong?Why autodetect is absent?

Perhaps the autodetect isn't doing the right thing for this specific
chip.  Pre-ONFI it doesn't seem to be fully standardized (there are
already a couple different variants supported by the code).  I'd think
most common ones would be supported by now, though.

> Now ecc error do not take place, but i have not accsess to high
> 2Gbyte of NAND- write , erase and read operations is fault, blocks
> skipped to high range of the NAND.
> not 2Gbyte ,  the fault area begin from 0x80200000h address
> (it is more correctly).
> Write, erase and read operations into  space 0x0000h - 0x80200000h
> flow without any problem. This NAND chip is new.
> What do you think about this?

Can you do "nand dump" of the higher addresses?

What sort of error do you see, if not ecc?

-Scott