[U-Boot] ARM CONFIG_OF_CONTROL status

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Wed Jun 27 15:58:39 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 2:29 AM, Michal Simek <monstr at monstr.eu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> can you please update me about current state of CONFIG_OF_CONTROL for ARM?
> Are there any other archs/boards which will use this option?

Or any other git repo out of mainline u-boot?

Exynos is in progress - development is happening in the Chromium tree and
being upstreamed in chunks (although no fdt patches have been sent yet).

> Has someone tried to look for devices based on compatible property?
> I see that in usb driver it is based on aliases which is not the best
> solution.

U-Boot doesn't yet have a device model which would allow this in the
general case. For now, drivers look for their own compatible nodes. This
works well enough until we have a device model.

There are other limitations also - for example USB supports only a single
controller type working at one time (a restriction we may need to look at
to support USB2 and USB3 together). So even if two USB drivers decided that
they both found compatible nodes, only one of them could operate. So for
now aliases provide just an ordering, nothing else.

Regards,
Simon