[U-Boot] Custodian branch base commits

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Mon Nov 5 18:17:23 CET 2012

On 11/03/2012 05:49 AM, Albert ARIBAUD wrote:
> Hi Stephen,

>>> Yes, tegra has to wait otherwise you've just forced u-boot-arm into
>>> a re-sync with master and now u-boot-arm can't where problems came
>>> from, be it your tree or master.
>>
>> That is only true if the pull request sent to u-boot-arm from
>> u-boot-tegra is sent or processed before u-boot-arm pulls in the
>> u-boot commit that u-boot-tegra was based upon.
>>
>> In other words, I don't think this issue requires that leaf repos be
>> based on a commit that's already in their immediate upstream repo, but
>> rather that leaf repos don't send a pull request to their upstream
>> repo until the leaf repo's baseline commit is included in their
>> upstream repo.
>
> Stop me if I'm wrong, but if e.g. u-boot-tegra/master dependsn on some
> commits from u-boot/master that are not already in u-boot/arm, then
> when I fetch u-boot-tegra/master, these commits will automatically get
> fetched along,

That's correct. The issue is whether this is acceptable, since it means
pulling non-Tegra commits into u-boot-arm/master along with the Tegra
commits.

> and when I fetch u-boot/arm, these commits will just be
> already there.

I'm not sure what "fetch u-boot/arm" means in that context. I believe
we're talking about merging u-boot-tegra/master into u-boot-arm/master,
and that merge would happen in your local branch, so I'm not sure why
you'd need to fetch anything after the merge?

Are you talking about when you later merge (not fetch) u-boot/master
(not u-boot/arm)? If so, then yes, that merge would simply pull in fewer
new commits because some would already be there.