[U-Boot] U-Boot git usage model

Albert ARIBAUD albert.u.boot at aribaud.net
Thu Oct 11 19:16:58 CEST 2012

Hi Scott,

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 11:54:46 -0500, Scott Wood
<scottwood at freescale.com> wrote:

> > tags, and
> > not
> > >
> > > At least the way the Linux kernel uses the tag, both the original
> > author
> > > of the patch /and/ anyone who applies the patch, cherry-picks the
> > patch,
> > > ... must add their S-o-b line. I think U-Boot isn't using that part
> > of
> > > the model.
> >
> > No, it isn't. IIUC, U-Boot's "Signed-off-by" is supposed to mean "I
> > am (one of) the autor(s) of this patch".
>
> Is this documented anywhere?
>
> http://www.denx.de/wiki/U-Boot/DevelopmentProcess says, "U-Boot has
> adopted the Linux kernel signoff policy".

Please do read the Linux kernel signoff policy as laid out in
Documentation/SubmittingPatches. Branch or subsystem maintainers should
add their Signed-off-by only if they made modifications to the original
patch in the process of applying it.

Then read http://www.denx.de/wiki/U-Boot/Patches: "the Signed-off-by:
is a line at the end of the commit message by which the signer
certifies that he was involved in the development of the patch and that
he accepts the Developer's Certificate of Origin (see
SubmittingPatches).

In U-Boot, we typically do not add a Signed-off-by: if we just pass on
a patch without any changes".

(the "Certificate of Origin" is laid out in the "SubmittingPatches"
documentation file from Linux)

> Actual behavior is probably inconsistent between custodians.

I haven't seen such inconsistency and certainly don't want to see any,
at least in ARM trees from which I have to pull.

Amicalement,
--
Albert.