[U-Boot] U-Boot git usage model

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Thu Oct 11 20:30:44 CEST 2012

On 10/11/2012 12:27:57 PM, Tom Rini wrote:

> On 10/11/12 10:16, Scott Wood wrote:
> >> [snip]

> >> I'm going to reply to myself, in hopes of clearing things up.
> >> We don't follow the linux-next model, really, I miss-spoke.
> >>
> >> History is important.  But so is getting the amount of process
> >> for the size of the project.  The other thing is that we're
> >> doing simultaneous development for both the current release and
> >> the next release.
> >>
> >> So for the master branch of the master repo, it must never
> >> rebase.  And as Wolfgang encourages users to use the custodian
> >> repository of mainline isn't quite up to what they need,
> >> custodian repositories must also keep their master branch
> >> un-rebased as much as humanly possible (my rule of thumb would
> >> be once it's been in the wild for a few days, it's too late).
> >>
> >> The next branch however can be rebased, as needed.
> >
> > Why is the next branch any different?  Users and custodians will
> > both be affected by any rebase, just as if a master branch gets
> > rebased.  This hybrid of the Linux approach and what was described
> > in this thread as the U-Boot approach is worse than consistently
> > doing one or the other IMHO.
>
> The number of people working on next should be small and manageable.

More people likely use next than some custodian branches, and those are
supposed to be rebase-free...

Wouldn't anyone developing code for the next merge window be working on
next,
at least when it's not out of date?

> But, yes, it bears more thinking if we want the next branch open for
> longer than it has historically been, if we want that.  And we have at
> least historically been saying that next can and will be rebased.

IMHO it would be nice for the next branch to open immediately after the
merge window closes, and be kept up to date except during the merge
window.  Historically the next branch has opened when someone requests
a pull into it, but how do I make a sane pull request when the next
branch has been untouched since the last release?

-Scott