[U-Boot] Custodian branch base commits

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Oct 30 23:06:07 CET 2012

Dear Stephen Warren,

In message <5090423C.5070605 at wwwdotorg.org> you wrote:

> > Why don't you do just
> > 	git branch -D master
> > 	git checkout -b master u-boot/master
> > instead?
>
> That would work identically. The exact git commands to do this really
> aren't the point of this conversation.

Maybe not for you.  But I was trying to understand what you are doing,
and I find your approach difficult to read.  A "git reset --hard" is
nothign I ever do in the normal course of actions.

> > BTW - why are you doing this on the "master" branch?  Any other branch
> > name appears more appropriate to me for such work?
>
> Well, the U-Boot wiki tells all custodians to use a branch named master,
> and all the custodian repos I've needed to look at follow this convention.

You are supposed to _never_ reset or rebase the master branch.

> >> u-boot/master is the standard git nomenclature for remote u-boot
> >> (assumed to point at git://git.denx.de/u-boot.git) branch master.
> >
> > standard git nomenclature? Do you happen to have a pointer for me?
>
> http://git-scm.com/book/ch3-5.html
>
> First sentence of the second paragraph in the body text.

Ummm... this does not exactly mention that it is considered standard
that "u-boot" refers to git://git.denx.de/u-boot.git .  Please keep in
mind that others might use different names - your original posting did
not explain your assumptions.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Horses just naturally have mohawk haircuts.