[U-Boot] gpt: GUID/UUID - GPT restoration - open questions

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Wed Sep 5 22:21:14 CEST 2012

On 08/24/2012 02:48 AM, Lukasz Majewski wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> I'm writing to you, since I've posted a patch series regarding GPT
> support for Samsung Trats board (you were on the CC).
>
> e.g. http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/179785/
>
> I think, that we can cooperate to provide better EFI/GPT support.
>
> In mine implementation the "gpt" command (with several sub commands) has
> been proposed
> - we can discuss if this is a correct way to go.
>
> Moreover, at this patch series a "weak" GUID generator is implemented.
> For now it is "good enough", since I consider the restoration as an
> emergency situation.

I think that (perhaps optionally) allowing the user to specify their own
UUIDs would be a good idea; whatever was generating the script being
executed might have access to a better entropy source.

> However,I wonder how can we provide better GUID (and in general random
> numbers pool) generator for u-boot.
>
> Maybe md5sum command can be used with some running clock (WDT, or
> system clock from u-boot start up) data to provide better entropy?

If there's a standard way of retrieving wall-clock, MAC address, ...
it'd definitely be a good idea to include those entropy sources.