[U-Boot] why u-boot relocate it self to RAM from flash?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Dec 3 06:30:55 CET 2013

Dear tejas patel,

In message <CAPWFgSA88DJF_Jm9MKTu53kpiNb7kqNcnuG6EDbA_W1MfHZO9Q at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I can not understand why u-boot relocate it self to RAM from flash? Why is
> it not executing from flash?
> Can anybody explain.

There is a ton of reasons.  One is that you cannot erase or program
the flash device and execute code from it at the same time, so we
would not be able to write a Linux kernel image - at least not without
special flash drivers that execute from RAM.  And we would not be able
to update the U-Boot image in flash. etc. etc.

In the end it is much easier to run from RAM.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The average woman would rather have beauty than brains,  because  the
average man can see better than he can think.