[U-Boot] tool for visualizing the map files?

Abraham V. abraham.varricatt at vvdntech.com
Wed Dec 11 06:54:22 CET 2013

Hello,

I'm trying to understand the ARM booting process for omap4 systems by
studying the linker generated map files and was wondering if some such
tool already exists? Specifically, the connection between the linker
.lds file and how it is used to generate the .map and .bin files.

What I understand so far is this: when the linker is called (from the
Makefile?), it scans the .lds file to understand the layout of the
final binary. It then searches over all the folders looking for object
files and according to instructions in .lds positions the different
binary bits (in specified alignment) in the output .bin file. The .map
file is a human-readable text file that can be used to confirm the
output layout. Do I have this correct?

Also, where is the map file for the the MLO image? For the u-boot
binary (u-boot.img), I'm assuming its the file called "u-boot.map" or
"System.map". What is the corresponding file for the MLO binary? I
can't find anything called "MLO.map".

Searching,
Abraham V.