[U-Boot] AM335x : failure to boot SPL from NAND

Tom Rini trini at ti.com
Fri Feb 15 22:13:32 CET 2013

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 03:54:23PM +0000, Mark Jackson wrote:

> I'm trying to diagnose why our AM335x based CPU board (based on the
> AM335x Starter Kit) can boot SPL and U-Boot from an MMC card, but is
> unable to boot from NAND (connected to CS0).
>
> Following the TI wiki
> (http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/AM335x_U-Boot_User%27s_Guide#Flashing_images_to_NAND_in_SD_boot)
> I:-
>
> (1) boot from MMC
> (2) erase the nand
> (3) copy MLO from MMC into NAND
> (4) verified it copied correctly (using crc32)
>
> When I reboot the board in NAND mode, I get nothing on UART0.
>
> If I reboot in MMC mode, SPL and U-Boot load correctly.
>
> Can anyone give me some pointers on the boot sequence, and where I
> might look to help debug the problem ?

Assuming you're using mainline U-Boot and can rule out "vendor
problems", if you can access the SYSBOOT pins, set it up for a mode that
does NAND and UART.  If you never see the 'CCC' on console (or only see
it the first time if you do UART then NAND), then you are starting SPL
and dying in there.  If you just see a stream of C then your file is not
written to NAND correctly.

--
Tom