[U-Boot] Possible GPL violation

Mateusz Kulikowski mateusz.kulikowski at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 21:08:46 CET 2013

Dear Wolfgang,

On 20.02.2013 15:24, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>> They're "made" (branded is probably better word) by local companies, and
>> my guess is that most of them is violating GPL.
>
> Guesses are not good enough in such legal affairs.

I know, that's why I'm not asking for help with "all" devices, just the
one I have.

>> I can't do much myself (except for nagging them for source code), as
>> it's not my copyrights that they're infringing.
>
> So did you contact the vendor and ask for the source code?  And did
> they answer, and what exactly?

10.2012 - I filled "generic" support form asking for sources of U-Boot,
no reply.

~01.2013 - I called their tech-support, asking for sources. Of course
guys didn't understood what I was asking for, but gave me e-mail to
person that should be able to help me.

01.2013 - I send email to that person, no reply.

end of 01.2013 - I called tech-support again, and was transferred to
person I emailed earlier - and tried to explain that to comply with GPL
they should provide me with sources on request.
I'm not sure if he understood me, but was supposed to check it and get
back to me. Of course he didn't.

Perhaps it's my fault that in e-mails I didn't explained that they're
obliged to provide me the sources (due to GPL) - that's why tomorrow I
will try again to call and (if it fails) write them big email with
quotes from GPL.

If you have better ideas (I can go directly to their office, or send
regular mail) - please share them, as you have way more experience with
legal stuff than I do.

Regards,
Mateusz