[U-Boot] M29EW flash is detected as 0xFF

Jagan Teki jagannadh.teki at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 12:57:58 CET 2013

Hi Stefan,

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 11:44 PM, Stefan Roese <sr at denx.de> wrote:
> Hi Jagan,
>
> On 20.02.2013 18:25, Jagan Teki wrote:
>>> So please update to the latest version and try again.
>>
>> Sorry for not intimating the version I used, actually I am using the
>> latest u-boot version 2013.01.01
>> Below link the head commit for cfi_flash.c
>> http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=commit;h=d2af028db3f75390f56f018e16c0f269521e07c5
>>
>> I am not sure whats wrong with code for detecting the m/c ID.
>>
>> Please let me know your inputs.
>
> This reminds me of a still pending problem with 8-bit flash chips. Could
> you perhaps give this patch a try?
>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/140863/
>
> Not sure if it still applies clean. But it seemed to fix a problem with
> 8-bit bus flash chips.

I am able to detect the correct Manufacture ID and device ID with these changes.

Bank # 1: CFI conformant flash (8 x 8)  Size: 64 MB in 512 Sectors
  AMD Standard command set, Manufacturer ID: 0x89, Device ID: 0x7E2301
  Erase timeout: 4096 ms, write timeout: 2 ms
  Buffer write timeout: 5 ms, buffer size: 1024 bytes

But the 1024 bytes buffer size is another issues, as Numonyx CFI
wrongly mentioned 1024 instead of 256.
Any way that we can fix I guess for N29EW flashes..

but how these changes impacts the other flashes i don't ..

Please find the log message.

Thanks,
Jagan.