[U-Boot] [RFC]: always relocate u-boot before the framebuffer

Jeroen Hofstee jeroen at myspectrum.nl
Fri Jan 4 21:29:34 CET 2013

Hi Wolfgang,

On 01/03/2013 09:28 PM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>> The frame buffer is then at the same physical address and I regain
>> 15MB of memory. So solved as far as I am concerned till proven that
>> it really hurts performance.
> I can't grok this, though.  I could understand if you say you saved
> up to 2 MB by lifting the 2 MB alignment requirement - but 15 MB?
> Please elucidate where this number is coming from.

I had the frame buffer at 16mb before the end of the ram to allow
u-boot, heap etc to relocated itself into the end of the frame buffer
/ ram. Without the CONFIG_FB_ADDR, the frame buffer it is located
at 1mb before the end and u-boot relocates itself before it. So now
linux has 15mb more since the framebuffer is at the 1mb before the
end of ram and not 16mb as it used to be.

Regards,
Jeroen