[U-Boot] [RFC] Is anyone interested IPv6 support for u-boot

Chris Packham judge.packham at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 04:25:21 CET 2013

Hi,

Here at $dayjob we make embedded network devices (routers & switches).
Because we have an interest in getting people to adopt IPv6 we've added
code to our local u-boot repository to add basic IPv6 support on our
boards. It's not a fully conformant IPv6 host implementation but it is
enough to be able to statically configure an IPv6 address and download
images from a v6 capable TFTP server.

We're trying to be better FLOSS citizens so I'm proposing to my colleagues
that we put some effort in getting this pushed upstream. The first step of
which would be to see if anyone wants the feature and is the /net
maintainer willing to take on this code (not that we intend to dump and
run).

Our existing code is a little too tightly coupled to our out of tree board
support so I don't have a preliminary patchset to provide. If there is
interest I'll work on porting it from our tree to a vanilla u-boot tree (we
have a couple of supported eval boards around).

Thanks for reading,
Chris Packham