[U-Boot] [RFC] command/cache: Add flush_cache command

Albert ARIBAUD albert.u.boot at aribaud.net
Fri Mar 22 16:57:25 CET 2013

Hi Tom,

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 10:29:04 -0400, Tom Rini <trini at ti.com> wrote:

> On 03/22/2013 10:03 AM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> > Dear Tom,
> >
> > In message <514C4BE8.10508 at ti.com> you wrote:
> >>
> >> It seems like we're going around and around with one point not
> >> being addressed.  When using 'go', how do you know the size to
> >> flush?  And since Scott is talking about performance testing
> >> apps, the cache should not be disabled (unless we expect all
> >> standalone apps to enable the cache, in which case we need to
> >> provide something in the jump table to make that easy and
> >> document this change).
> >
> > I also wonder about this. To me it appears much easier to use a
> > IH_TYPE_STANDALONE image, which 1) provides the needed size
> > information and 2) can be used with bootm, so the required
> > additional steps (flush caches, release CPU) can be handled in
> > bootm subcommands.
>
> But that then circles us back to Scott's other point of "go" is broken
> then and it is the recommended way to start standalone applications.

I am not sure I understand how exactly go is broken, or how the bootm
proposal from Wolfgang circles back to a brokennness of 'go'. I am
not even sure of the exact scenario. How many cores are we dealing with
here, and what does each core do in sequence?

> Scott, part of the problem here is that we have multiple cores, yes?
> Say core0 is the one that read things in from NOR to DDR, core1 is the
> one that will be running things.

That's one possible scenario but I would like more detail before we
look for a solution.

Amicalement,
--
Albert.