[U-Boot] Compiling U-BOOT bootloader on x86

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat May 4 22:31:17 CEST 2013

Dear Ravi Kant Tiwari,

In message <loom.20130504T200358-940 at post.gmane.org> you wrote:
> I have download and extracted u-boot-1.1.6 on Linux ubuntu. I just want to
> compile the source code using GCC(not targeting cross compilation for any
> embedded platform).

First: U-Boot 1.1.6 is prehistoric (more than 7 years old).  If you
intend to do anything with U-Boot, then please use recent code.

> My understanding is irrespective of platform the source code should compile.

Your understanding is incomplete / incorrect.

> What are the necessary makefile and environment changes i need to do for
> compilation on x86?

No changes are needed, but dependingon which exact target board you
are compiling for, you will need a cross tool chain for the respective
target architecture.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
No journaling file system can recover your data if the disk dies.
                                 - Steve Rago in <D4Cw1p.L9E at plc.com>