[U-Boot] Uboot question from Newbee

Casper Floppy anonymous1812 at hotmail.com
Fri May 10 00:53:13 CEST 2013

Hi All,

I come from PC
side and familiar with UEFI BIOS. I am very new to uboot so please help (& be
kind :). Is this the right forum to ask Uboot specific question?

I am studying
Uboot code now to compare/contrasts how uboot work and differs from UEFI. I have
several very simple questions wrt to Android OS support-

1) What are the
merits of Uboot over UEFI? Is there any work going on to consolidate the two
work since both are open source now and suited for embedded design?

2) In general
terms does uboot bootloader always initialize video or video is initialized by
Android OS? Is there specific guideline between OS & Bootloader which side
should initialize video?

3) Do every
uboot bootloader based system support FastBoot or only some platforms; is this vendor
choice?

4) Where can I
get a good documentation on how the uboot build process work? For ex. I saw a
call to drv_video_init but not sure how this is linked to the code or invoked.
Is the entre uboot files compiled and conditional macro drop unused code? How
are various files pulled into the build?

5) Is there
standard way to hand off control from bootloader to OS. I see various format of
header Uimage, Android image etc. What is most prevalent structure of kernel
boot partition?

5) I am not
sure how GPL licensing work. If I use uboot code in some form do I need to send
all code just the customization changes back? For example if I am interested in
just fastboot aspect of uboot and execute it over other proprietary firmware
what changes I need to provide back.

Thanks again
for any help or guidence

-ap