[U-Boot] When to create a SoC directory for ARM

sun york-R58495 R58495 at freescale.com
Thu Sep 26 03:04:30 CEST 2013

On Sep 25, 2013, at 4:52 PM, Scott Wood wrote:

> On Wed, 2013-09-25 at 16:30 -0700, York Sun wrote:
>> Dear Wolfgang,
>>
>> I failed to find the guideline, here is my question. Pardon me if this
>> is a dump question as I am still new to ARM.
>>
>> As David Feng post his patch set to add ARMv8 support, I am trying to
>> enable it for Freescale implementation. Let's name it as LS2 for this
>> discussion. I am thinking to reuse as much as possible for existing
>> codes, which include copying some header files from powerpc partially. I
>> noticed the SoC field in boards.cfg file and I am wondering how to use
>> it effectively. I want to put LS2 specific headers to
>> arch/arm/include/asm/arch-ls2. Do I need to copy all files from
>> arch/arm/include/asm/arch-armv8/? There aren't many but I see mmu.h is
>> included in start.S. I have been searching case like this in ARMv7 but
>> didn't see shared header file (maybe I missed it). Please advise.
>
> LS2 is (or perhaps more accurately, contains) an implementation of
> ARMv8, so you should be using arch-armv8 rather than copying it.

True. But I guess LS2 won't be the only "LS" Freescale is going to make. Where is the best place to put the header file for chassis related registers, like CCSR we have for mpc8xxx. I am thinking the best place is arch/arm/include/asm/ls2 (or a better name). Like other ARMv7 variants, I am thinking to put ls2 under arch/arm/cpu/armv8/ as well, to host LS-specific code.

York