[U-Boot] u-boot command for standalone application

swami91 to.swami at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 03:08:40 CEST 2014

Hi,

  We are planning to have a non-GPL standalone application which does some
basic board checks and also holds a authentication key (which we don't want
it to be published). The authentication code is in u-boot and will be
released under GPL.

1. Is it ok if we implement uboot commands that would call into the
standalone application API without violating GPL terms of u-boot? The
command returns to the command line after execution. The arguments are
passed from the uboot command line.

2. How to pass the authentication key from the standalone application to
u-boot without violating the GPL license other than hard coding the address
of the key location in the u-boot? Does this hardcoding violate the GPL
terms of u-boot?

3. Is it ok to load the application from within the uboot into RAM and then
let the u-boot commands executed on it?

Thanks.
Sudhakr