[U-Boot] unable to build tools with 2014.04-rc2 for x86

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Thu Mar 13 05:22:07 CET 2014

On Thu, 13 Mar 2014 12:47:16 +0900
Masahiro Yamada <yamada.m at jp.panasonic.com> wrote:

> Hello Dennis,
>

> > So the question is how am I supposed to build mkimage for x86?
>

> I think
>   make  CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linxu-gnu-  sheevaplug_config   tools
> will work for you.
>

> tools/  is built for host (x86) even if the target board is
> configured for ARM.

having to add a build dependency on a cross compiler seems really wrong.

Seems to me we should fix things so tools are buildable without such
requirements.

seems that when doing native builds detection does not work right either

+ make 'HOSTCC=gcc -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -grecord-gcc-switches  -march=armv7-a -mfpu=vfpv3-d16  -mfloat-abi=hard' -j4
make: arm-linux-gcc: Command not found
/bin/sh: arm-linux-gcc: command not found
dirname: missing operand
Try 'dirname --help' for more information.
  GEN     include/autoconf.mk.dep
/bin/sh: arm-linux-gcc: command not found
  GEN     include/autoconf.mk
/bin/sh: arm-linux-gcc: command not found
  CHK     include/config/uboot.release
  CHK     include/generated/timestamp_autogenerated.h
  UPD     include/generated/timestamp_autogenerated.h
  UPD     include/config/uboot.release
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
  CHK     include/generated/version_autogenerated.h
/bin/sh: arm-linux-gcc: command not found
/bin/sh: arm-linux-ld.bfd: command not found
  UPD     include/generated/version_autogenerated.h
  CC      lib/asm-offsets.s
/bin/sh: arm-linux-gcc: command not found

Dennis