[U-Boot] Antw: Re: U-Boot doesn't silent the output

Andrew Murray amurray at embedded-bits.co.uk
Tue Mar 18 10:38:24 CET 2014

Hi Wolfgang,

On 18 March 2014 09:03, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:

> What exactly did you pass in the kernel command line - just
> "console=", i. e. without a value?  Did you try passing a valid device
> name instead, like "console=null"?

Apologies for hijacking this thread.

If I remember, fixup_silent_linux ensures that 'console=' is present
in the kernel arguments (i.e. it will replace console=/dev/ttyS0 (or
similar) with console=).

I think preferred behavior for this may be to instead leave any
'console' arguments as they are and instead ensure that 'quiet' or
'loglevel=1' is present instead. There are two motivations for doing
this - the first is that when using a lower loglevel you still get
suppressed kernel output - but you also get any errors. Thus if
something goes wrong you'll see why rather than wonder if U-Boot even
started the kernel. The second is that I've seen a few times in the
past where setting console to nothing (console=) results in strange
behavior (it once increased boot time). After all we want a console we
just don't want to use it as much. I can provide a patch for this if
you think you may take it?

Thanks,

Andrew Murray