[U-Boot] DA850EVM with USE_NAND config does not pad the AIS file

Tom Rini trini at ti.com
Mon May 5 15:09:49 CEST 2014

On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 01:34:58PM -0400, Tom Taylor wrote:

> I'm a U-Boot newbie so please feel free to correct how I'm reporting
> this issue..
>
> I recently downloaded the 2014.04-rc3 snapshot to build U-Boot for
> my custom DA850-based board.  The only change was to add a new
> target "dav850evm_nand" in boards.cfg with the added parameter
> "USE_NAND".
>
> The resulting AIS file was programmed into EVM-compatible NAND using
> standard sfh_OMAP-L138 method.
>
> The board failed to boot, and stayed in a loop printing the SPL
> console message repeatedly.
>
> After some debugging with CCS 5.5 and an XDS100v2, I found that
> incorrect code was being loaded into the 0xc108000 RAM destination.
> The da850evm.h file defines CONFIG_SYS_NAND_U_BOOT_OFFS as 0x28000,
> which corresponds to an AIS offset of 0x8000 but the u-boot header
> did not appear there in the AIS file.  A search revealed that the
> Makefile catenated u-boot immediately after the SPL without any
> padding.
>
> Further investigation revealed that the target Makefile needs
> CONFIG_SPL_MAX_SIZE to be defined as 0x8000 in order for the padding
> to be performed properly; however, this constant was apparently
> deleted during a series of changes in April, 2013 to accommodate
> separate code and BSS size limits for another target.  In its place,
> CONFIG_SPL_MAX_FOOTPRINT was defined as 32768.   Unfortunately, the
> da850evm Makefile does not refer to this constant.
>
> To solve the problem, I added the following 2 lines in my
> custom-modified da850evm.h:
> #define CONFIG_SPL_PAD_TO    0x8000
> #define CONFIG_SPL_MAX_SIZE  0x8000

Thanks for looking into this.  I saw a similar issue on my am18xx EVM
but was 5 bugs deep and didn't have time to bisect it then.

I think the answer here is to post a patch fixing the boards listed in:
$ git grep -l ARM926EJS include/configs/ | xargs grep -l DAVINCI

As they all share that set of constraints.

Thanks for digging into this!

--
Tom