[U-Boot] u-boot-socfpga repository

Dinh Nguyen dinguyen at opensource.altera.com
Sat Sep 13 00:29:01 CEST 2014

On 09/12/2014 05:14 PM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Dinh,
>
> In message <54136276.6040109 at opensource.altera.com> you wrote:
>>
>>> To get patches or new code into U-Boot mainline, these have to be
>>> submitted to the U-Boot mailing list (among other purposes for
>>> archival and that they get stored in the patchwork database).  Then a
>>> peer review takes place, and the responsible custodian finally applies
>>> these patches to the respective custodian repository.  Finally, he
>>> sends a pull request to the next higher custodian - in case of SoCFPGA
>>> that would be Albert as ARM custodian.
>>
>> Does the above process differ from the Linux community process in
>> anyway? If not, then I've been doing the same for the Linux support for
>> SOCFPGA on the rocketboards. The ARM-SOC maintainers have been pulling
>> from the git repo at rocketboards for quite some time now. I think I can
>> probably do the same for u-boot.
>
> I think we are a bit more critical here in U-Boot.  The repositories
> we pull from are maintained by community-assigned custodians, who have
> a proven track record not only as experienced developers, but also for
> working with the community and being able to negotiate conflicts.
>
> If Vince gets appointed as custodian for socfpga, there should be no
> problem for him to automatically synchronize your u-boot-socfpga-next.git
> repository with the U-Boot u-boot-socfpga one.

Then I vote for myself as the custodian for u-boot-socfpga. By the way,
what is the difference between a Maintainer and a custodian? I don't
understand why if Chin-Liang and myself are listed as Maintainer(s) for
SOCFPGA, we would have to rely on Marek to pull in our patches for SOCFPGA?

> On the other hand - what exactly is the code you are referring to in
> u-boot-socfpga-next.git ?  At the moment, I see this:
>
> 	-> git clone
> 	git://git.rocketboards.org/u-boot-socfpga-next.git
> 	Cloning into 'u-boot-socfpga-next'...
> 	warning: You appear to have cloned an empty repository.
> 	Checking connectivity... done.

Yes, this is the repo will be the one that we will use. I have a couple
of other things on my plate at the moment and will populate this repo
shortly.

Dinh