[U-Boot] AM335x configurations - console output at early stages lost

Vasili Galka vasili at visionmap.com
Wed Apr 29 18:51:11 CEST 2015

Hi Tom,

I'm working on rebasing an old U-Boot branch for our company's AM335x based board upon the current U-Boot release (v2015.04). Our branch was initially based on the v2013.10 release (the ti/am335x/ board was taken as reference).

After making all the code compile, I discovered there was a change in the U-Boot initialization sequence, introduced by commit a6b541b09022acb6f7c2754100ae26bd44eed1d9, that prevents our code from working:

Prior to the above mentioned commit, the console serial port was initialized at a very early stage in the armv7/am335x/board.c:s_init() function (calling preloader_console_init()). Roughly saying, it was the first thing done by the SPL code. This made quite much sense, as it enabled all the code afterwards to output status/debugging info to the console.
Moving the preloader_console_init() call to spl_board_init() caused it to be run at a very "late" stage (as part of the board_init_r() function). AFAIU, now all the code that runs till then has no ability for any console output.
For example, in our particular case, the DDR configuration code (in sdram_init()) reads the DDR type from an I2C EEPROM. Obviously, if something goes wrong in this process, we would like to report it to the console.

I understand there was a good reason for the mentioned commit (the GD), however, as you see, we have also lost some important functionality with it. I would appreciate your advice on how to solve it.

Best regards,
Vasili Galka

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and contain proprietary information belonging to VisionMap Ltd. VisionMap Ltd. asserts in respect of this email and any files transmitted with it all rights for confidentiality and proprietary interests to the fullest extent permitted by law. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. Thank you.