[U-Boot] Exynos 5800/5422 CPU ID inconsistency.

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd.simons at collabora.co.uk
Wed Aug 26 22:56:24 CEST 2015

On Wed, 2015-08-26 at 06:37 -0700, Simon Glass wrote:
> Hi Przemyslaw,
>
> On 26 August 2015 at 06:09, Przemyslaw Marczak <p.marczak at samsung.com
> > wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > The s5p_cpu_id variable is set in here:
> > arch/arm/mach-exynos/include/mach/cpu.h
> >
> > For value 0x422, found in pro id register, the s5p_cpu_id is set as
> > 0x5800.
> > I think, that hiding the real info is wrong and misleading.
> >
> > I don't have documentation for E5800, but maybe there is some
> > additional
> > register like package id to recognise the SoC variant.
> >
> > I'm pointing this issue, because for older boards, we used this
> > information
> > to set the $fdtfile environment variable name, to next load proper
> > fdt from
> > partition before boot the kernel.
> >
> > Now, I would like use the s5p_cpu_id to set the fdtfile name for
> > Odroid
> > XU3/4, but the value is bad.
> >
> > I would like fix this value to the real one, but then, the CPU name
> > will
> > change on Chromebooks.
> >
> > To fix this we could add "cpu-name" property to device tree, and
> > then print
> > it.

I was wondering recently whether there shouldn't simply be a device
-tree property with the name of the fdt file as used by linux such
there is no need for putting this dynamically together which can be a
tad error-prone (as this example shows). (Unfortunately not all boards
in linux use the <cpu name>-<board name> convention :/)

--
Sjoerd Simons
Collabora Ltd.