[U-Boot] [linux-sunxi] [UBOOT] Both Linux-Sunxi and Mainline Uboot have issues

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Thu Feb 19 10:24:50 CET 2015

Hi,

On 19-02-15 10:22, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-02-19 at 09:11 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Note assuming you're using linux-sunxi kernels and not upstream kernels you also
>> need "Enable workarounds for booting old kernels" for things to boot at all
>> on A20 based devices,
>
> IIRC there is also an env var which can be set to force booting in
> secure mode?

Correct, doing:

setenv bootm_boot_mode sec

Before calling "bootm" also is a way to boot old kernels on A20 devices.

>>   because the new u-boot by default boots the kernel in
>> non secure mode (so that it can be a hypervisor and hw accelerated qemu-kvm works
>> on the A20), but the old kernels do not work when booted in non secure mode
>> (another bug in the old kernels, for which no fix is available).
>
> (probably some mainline commits to head.S to handle boot in hyp mode
> could be backported, ignoring the actual KVM stuff)

IIRC someone took a quick look and this was non trivial, but yeah this would
really be the best thing to do, so that we can drop the old kernel compat
u-boot config at one point.

Regards,

Hans