[U-Boot] debug warning

Albert ARIBAUD albert.u.boot at aribaud.net
Thu Jul 16 08:54:06 CEST 2015

Hello York,

On Wed, 15 Jul 2015 13:32:30 -0700, York Sun <yorksun at freescale.com>
wrote:

> On 07/15/2015 01:29 PM, Simon Glass wrote:
> > Hi York,

> >> Albert,
> >>
> >> Let me send a RFC patch so you can comment on it.
> >
> > I'm not sure how to do what Albert is suggesting.
> >

> I only thought of two ways, using #ifdef or changing the type as my RFC patch
> suggests.

There's a third one: changing the form of the format specifier
according to the target's definition of the variable -- you do that
once somewhere in a common header file and you're all set up everywhere
else.

See for instance how 'uint64_t' has such a format specifier PRIu64
#define-d in /usr/include/inttypes.h; whatever the definition of
uint64_t, you can do a printf with it as follows:

	uint64_t var;
	printf("Value of var is " PRIu64 ".\n", var);

(I learned this about a year ago while working on code that had to run
on both a 64-bit Intel-core PC and a 32-bit ARM-core Beaglebone)

The same technique can be used here and I strongly prefer it oer
changing the type of the variable, because changing the type affects
the function of *all* code that uses the variable (thus potentially
modifying the board behavior), whereas changing the format specifier
affects *only* the printf() code (thus not changing the board behavior
except for debug code which, supposedly, it only *fixes*.

> York

Amicalement,
--
Albert.