[U-Boot] Proposal to add NAND-boot support for Sunxi SPL

Roy Spliet r.spliet at ultimaker.com
Fri May 22 09:04:36 CEST 2015

Hello,

For my set-up I made use of Boris Brezillon's sunxi-nand tree[1], or
actually I rebased his patches on top of 4.0rc7. This basically adds
support for NAND-chip partitioning, ECC and randomisation. Docs for the
DT specification in Documentation/devicetree/bindings/mtd/sunxi-nand.txt
, and an example can be found in
arch/arm/boot/dts/sun7i-a20-cubietruck.dts . [2] lists the acceptable
configuration options for the boot and boot_rescue partitions, make sure
to pick one of these (which should be no problem for MLC-type nand). The
ECC mode for these boot partitions is called hw_syndrome.

Assuming you now have a Linux set-up kernel based on this tree with NAND
support on an MMC, for U-boot what you should currently do is:
1) in include/configs/sunxi-common.h, adjust the parameters
<CONFIG_NAND_SUNXI_>PAGE_SIZE, ECC_STEP, ECC_STRENGTH to match your NAND
chip and DT configuration.
2) Build
3) Use your MMC to flash u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin onto NAND:
# flash_erase /dev/mtd0
# nandwrite -p /dev/mtd0 u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin
4) Reboot without the MMC card and see U-boot load

That should be all.

@Alex: To answer your question specifically: It's likely that the
parameters in sunxi-common.h mentioned above might not match your
NAND-chip configuration in the Linux kernel. I can't tell you precisely
how to fetch these details from the 3.4 kernel, sorry. I recall Daniel
using 24-bit strength ECC with otherwise equal parameters, but perhaps
he can help you with this better than I can.

Cheers,

Roy

[1] https://github.com/bbrezillon/linux-sunxi/commits/sunxi-nand
[2] https://linux-sunxi.org/NAND#More_information_on_BROM_NAND